Thursday, May 6, 2010

The House that Built Me

We officially broke ground on Monday, April 26th. They started with some clearing of some trees to make room for our driveway. It's amazing the power a trachoe has! They are also running a bulldozer. The property looks totally different! The driveway is set up and packed down with river rocks. They leveled the hill off that our house will sit on. We have lots of clay, but no Native American artifacts. I'm just glad it wasn't an Indian mound. Friday, April, 30th he started digging the basement. Later that night it literally came a terrential downpour which devasted parts of our community. We just knew that the freshly moved dirt would be completely erroded into the creek by our house. OR better yet, the creek had overflowed making it worse! BUT the guys make deep trenches to hold the water, and ditches to drain into the creek. Our shiny new culvert held up well as did the whole property. It was a true test to see if the drainage will really work how it supposed to. The area had dried up enough by Wednesday and they started in digging some more. The goal is to get it dug over the weekend. They guys digging can only work after their daytime jobs and weekends. They have been working hard from 4-sundown. These guys really know what they are doing!

A vocal/guitar student came to me today with a new song. It really caught me off guard. I had to turn away to hide the bleary in my eyes. It made me think of my parents' house they built when I was 18 months old. After they divorced my Dad lived there, as it is also located on my Papa's farm. Mine and my sister's little hands are impressed in the concrete there. When my Daddy died 2 years ago, the people that bought the house I grew up in came to me and said, "You must me Anna!" I said, "yes...." She told me that my handprints are in her sidewalk, and I lost it in front of the woman.

This song is what I want for our home. Check it out!




Happy Mother's Day!


Setting up the Driveway



Spreading the River Rocks


Driveway


Driveway Over the Creek with a New Culvert


Chomping a Tree




The Hole

No comments:

Post a Comment