Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Will we be eating turkey in our new house?

That is the question!! It is quite possible if everyone shifts into high gear.

The house is fully framed and in the dry (which means all windows, doors, and the board stuff is up around the studs on the outside), shingled, roughly wired for electricity, roughly plumbed, has partial siding, the fireplace is operational, and we have a really nice deck, which is about 80% complete. We passed inspection today on our rough electric wiring. This is EXCITING because we can finally insulate the walls, which means drywall will be going up really soon.

We have an awesome team...really awesome. We have been blessed so far to have responsible and dependable guys that do great work and excellent craftsmanship.

Ray Glisson and Dan Crossno-Basement (concrete, framing in the basement, and plumbing...possibly more :))
Terry Reeder-Framing for house, fireplace, roof, and trim work (which isn't done yet)
Matt Dunning and Mickey Horton- Electrical
Patrick Corbin-Decking, and Flooring
Gary Doster-Custom cabinets (I can't wait! They are going to be beautiful!)
Elite in Gleason-Acrylic counter tops
Barry Mathis-Siding (I didn't realize it till today, but this is the guy that pulled me out of my totaled car a little over a year ago. He doubles as an EMT.)
Richard Horn at Gleason Hardware- AC/Heating Unit and duct work
Beasley- Satellite
Michael Wade- Brush Cleanup

Things left to do (not in this order):
Drywall
Paint
Flooring
Trim
Garage Paneling
electrical and plumbing after drywall
Patio, steps, and sidewalk
Fence
Little bit more gravel for round-about
Plant grass seed
MOVE IN!!!!

Here are some pictures:

Looking Down the Driveway


Front (There are shutters on it now...I took this picture last week.)


Fireplace


The Back


The Garage Side

This whole process has been stressful, but we are starting to feel some relief I think. Jon has been our rock. I don't know how he does all of this while working, traveling, putting together a killer band, keeping us all happy, while staying on budget and sane. Many people have told me that building a house together will make or break a relationship when you are this involved in the building process. It's definitely made us stronger.

As for my part, I plan on doing most of the painting in the house. As for all of these months waiting, I have been preparing like a bird making a nest. Since I haven't been working much outside of teaching voice and guitar and the occasional subbing, my crafty hands have been hard at work. I found the cutest guitar material online. I made Harrison a bedspread, bedskirt, and pillows. His room will be all guitars. I also found a guitar lamp; and we are using a small old guitar amp for his night stand with plexi-glass. We had an old acoustic and electric that I painted lime green as an accent to hang on the wall.

Sarah's room is going to be all of the girly colors. We are actually painting some furniture we found at a yardsale green and pink. Lots of projects for Sarah's room too.

I'll post a blog about all of my projects with pictures. I have a lot of them going. It's hard to do much at a time with a 17 month old.

No comments:

Post a Comment